Monday, March 28, 2011

Adventures in adaptation

What do we define as luxuries?
When living in our house in Amarillo, I commonly whined over a small kitchen, not enough space anywhere, and how hard life was. I've since repented.
I thought keeping up with the kitchen cleaning duties was difficult when I had a dishwasher. It was not.
I thought it was hard to stay on top of Laundry Mountain when I had my own laundry room. It was not.
I thought keeping up with things was hard then, and well, it was. But not for the reasons its hard now. It was hard then because I had the "more is better" attitude. I thought if I had a commercial grade kitchen it would be much easier to keep it organized and clean. Now I have a kitchen smaller than some peoples bedroom closets. I have my cookware, a small amount of bakeware, and my corningware along with out everyday dishes and a few bowls. Honestly, there are a few things in there that I haven't used in the nearly 2 months we've lived here. I think I'll box those up for the storage building this afternoon. I have enough. I've promised to never take things like dishwashers and my own washer and dryer for granted again. Compared to my current kitchen, my old one (that I thought was small) feels like a castle. I don't really miss the microwave... much.
Things that I used to take for granted now feel like luxury items. I am extremely thankful that we have such a great neighbor that cheerfully lets me use her washer and dryer. If not for her I'd have a wash bucket and clothes line. Not only that, she's a friend. Honestly, I am starting to like it here. The house at least is beginning to feel more like home. I used to think it was difficult to keep my house clean. Then I realized it was because there was too stuff in it. So we got rid of a LOT of stuff. It felt nice, it was much easier to put things up when everything had a place. Then we moved into a smaller place. Now I need to downsize again, but I am not sure whats left to get rid of. But I will. I will find more things that don't have to be here, so that the things that are here are not overwhelming. I tend to shut down when things get overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment